Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Manhattan Half-Marathon

Good morning to you, Manhattan Half-Marathon.



It is January 27, 2008. 30 degrees outside and I'm about to run 13.1 miles in Central Park.


Simply put, I do not feel up to it.


The morning greets me with a dull, thudding pain in my back. I'm trying to avoid taking ibuprofen by the handful like I did around the marathon. Sooooo, I've been waking up sore everyday, like... retired football player sore. This was not going to help.


The donning of appropriate winter running gear took place with apprehension.


2 pairs of underwear, windproof pants, heavy socks, moisture-wicking shirt, cotton t-shirt, fleece pull-over, windproof jacket, head/neck/face "gator," skullcap, wrap-around ear warmy, gloves, runnin' shoes.


This was to be my longest run since the marathon back in November.


I loaded up the iPod shuffle with a good playlist (Foo Fighters, Beck, NIN, Metallica, Primus).


The start was a short jog from my apartment, perfect warm-up distance.


The park was bumpin', y'all! Music, thousands of people including spectators with signs.


The horn goes off and I cross the start at 8:35am.


I felt great until about mile 8. The toughest hills were, by that point, out of the way. But my body began to rebel.


Rick's Body: What?!? Five more miles?!? Fuggedit, pal. I'm cold, wet and tired. Time to go home.

Rick's mind: I am a warrior. Too tough to kill.

Rick's Body: You're an idiot. Who do you think you are? No way can you do this.

Rick's mind: I am stronger than my body.

Rick's body: That doesn't even make sense. You're a babbling idiot trying to take your mind off the pain you're inflicting on yourself.

Rick's mind: Shut up...am not!

Rick's Body: Idiot.


My body was mad at me.

I actually questioned whether I would finish. I took a walk break, surrendering to my goal of 2:15. I'd be glad to finish under 2:30 at this point.


My fancy, moisture-wicking fabrics were simply wet rags at this point. I was getting colder and colder, which made me run faster, which made me sweat more, which made me colder.


Sue and Coach Parker met me at the finish. Well, what was left of me.


4996 finishers. I finished in 2:19:03.



Lesson of the race: Just because you ran a marathon a few months ago doesn't mean that a half-marathon in Central Park will be a piece of cake. It's still thirteen miles of hills.



I will: eat better, hydrate more regularly, stretch more regularly, get more sleep.

My pictures.


Can you feel it? I did.

2008 racing miles to date: 18.1

Next race: February 10 Bronx Half-Marathon

2 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations on pushing through! I too felt pretty sluggish during the race - still haven't figured out why, but I'm going to try maybe eating a bit more before the Bronx to get some extra energy. See you there!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful way to share your thoughts. Your descriptions gave me a great understanding of your marathon experience. Keep on running.
We are so proud of you.
love, dad and mom