Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Frank Lebow 5 Miler

On Saturday Jan 12, I ran the Frank Lebow 5 miler in Central Park.
This is the first race, the first five miles, of my year's fitness goal.
100 miles of racing in 2008.

Frank Lebow, in 1970, co-founded the New York City marathon. Then, it was just four loops around Central Park. Not the five borough extravaganza that it is today.

The race was fun. It started at 9 am, later than most races. We started in the park at around 99th st and ran counterclockwise. I finished in 44:07 which is 8:47/mile. Since I have a half-marathon scheduled in two weeks, I needed to do a long run this weekend. So, I ran another lap around the park, albeit a good deal slower. Ten miles total. A pretty good start to the weekend.

Not much to tell about the race itself....44 degrees, calm wind, 4419 finishers. Good crowd.

The quest has begun.

2008 racing miles to date: 5

No comments: